We just landed about about four hours ago from our beachtrip to texas. Being a seasoned traveler with young children, I have concluded there are some things that are a MUST. They are as follows:
1. LAUGHTER
A sense of humor is a must when traveling with young children. Why should I be surprised when Keller (after being asked for hours at the airport) announces he has to poop as we are taxing so the plane stops moving and waits for him to do business (you should have seen that stare from the stewardess). I wanted to tell her "lady, better to wait 30 seconds than have to clean up the mess on the seat..."
My great idea of bringing crayons on the trip (both boys actually liked them during our trip) ended up Coleman drawing on the barf bag for 1.245 seconds, then screaming bloody murder when I would not let him draw on the tray table.
2. LOW EXPECTATIONS
When I first started travelling with Keller, my expectations were way too high. I pictured him being content in my arms, or when older reading books and coloring. Not so much now. Presently, if no one outside of family is exposed to the boys poop and if we all land and still love each other and want to vacate together...I consider this a truly successful flight.
My expectations for the airlines as well have shifted extremely to the low end. I dont know if it is me or what, but when I was single and married without kids...all my flights were ontime, taxing for 45 minutes was unheard of, i dont recall ever hearing "well folks, looks like we've got about 25 planes ahead of us for take off...," and the beverage and snack option was enjoyable. Now, I expect delays on at least one of our flights, taxing for hours is a definite, and the beverage is me shot-gunning my water before little hands can get to it.
3. LOLLIPOPS
I caved...bring on the sugar is my song on days of travel. You want a lollipop kid? here, take 14. This was hands down the best part of my day. Both boys with "pops" in hands and mom relaxing for the first time all day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
i have to ask...what flavor/brand of lollis? You should show the kids "lolli lolli lolli get your adverbs here" from grammar rock (youtube) -- glad your trip was a success!
I knew you'd give in to the sugar. Can't raise kids without it. It's in the Bible...........somewhere...I know it is. Adorable boys!
Post a Comment