air conditioner. washing machines. dish washers. flip flops.
these are some of the modern amenities that separate 21st century women from our foremothers back in the 1800's. however, there is one area that seems to have maintained its archaic status.
that would be cutting fat off of meat. no amount of moderism can make this task easier and less....well disgusting. really, the best thing to have going for you is a good sharp knife, just like the 'ol days.
our community group had our monthly dinner, and in honor of jeremy's birthday, i decided to let the texan in me take over and make brisket. buy it, bring it home, unwrap it. what lies before me is, what my friends alison and claire call- a "hunka meat" (say in deep southern accent for full effect). it is everything gross about animals on one piece of bloody styrofoam. how, i ask myself, is it possible that I live in a day and age where I can text someone in china, buy a house and car online, see upclose pictures of the moon and still am handling raw meat w nothing but a knife and a cutting board. As i cut fat after fat after fat I am trying to decide exactly why i am not a vegetarian. I dont think cutting up beans would be this gross. i keep reminding myself of my wonderful husband and how this is his favorite meal. plus, i am sure caroline ingells never complained about cutting fat off meat, and she had to pluck chickens as well. after 8hrs elbow-deep in raw beef, i stick the "hunka meat" in the oven to do its thing.
days later, once cooked it seemed to have the culinary pleasure that jeremy was hoping for as he ate probably half of it. I, on the otherhand, went heavy on the potatoes and salad....
1 comment:
LOVE your writing voice...you had me laughing out loud, linds. Here's to good old Texas meat - yum, yum.
I must confess I had your vegetarian instincts while working with pig hearts in grade five today - talk about a hunk of meat...
Post a Comment