2.21.2008

To smock or not to smock...




that is the question...at least in the heart of South Charlotte. As the mother of two boys, every Sunday, I inwardly laugh, as I see young boys smocked and frocked and looking like they are heading to English Boarding School. Don't get me wrong...my boys dont wear camo or cargo pants to church (at least not under one:) but I have congratulated myself on finding a happy medium, making it clear what gender my children are, and having both my husband and myself content w the boys outfits....

enter Hope. A great friend who has a son Chase, who is Keller's age (2 1/2). Now Hope is the girl who would have Chase wear smocked Pj's if she could:) when we first started hanging out and would have play group together...There was not doubt as to Chase's initials...for if he was not smocked, he was monogrammed....
so as Hope and I become closer, her ways began to rub off on me. Of course, I am way too practical to every buy an outfit that cost more than $20 and assuming I will continue to produce boys, monogramming is out of the question due to hand me downs. However we have had very generous friends give us darling "smocked" outfits and john johns.

Jump to Coleman's baptism. Suddenly my question becomes not "do i smock?" but "which smock should he wear?" So i head to Hope's, who generously loans us all of Chase's 18mos clothes. sunday morning Coleman is dressed just like his other British classmates and.... i LOVE it. He looks so precious....
so in conclusion, i have determined that the more boys we have, the more "girly" they will be dressing on Sunday morning. I have not completely flipped the switch to monday-friday smocking but perhaps coleman may find himself in something monogrammed one of these
days....




2 comments:

Courtney said...

love it..i'm there with you, when we both have our third boys people might be wondering what gender they are :)

Hope Bray said...

so glad you are finally seeing things the "Charleston" way. The way I see it, they are only little once.. way to go girl!!
Hope